Saturday, October 25, 2008

Let Go and Let God

It has been almost a week since the "Big Fall" in the Target parking lot which ended up being a blessing in disguise.

But then I'm getting ahead of myself...

For background purposes, I'm known in our family as the"accident prone" sister...and I've had several broken bones from silly mishaps like climbing trees, hiking and bicycling to name just a few.

Last week during a hospital visit I noticed that Sharon's Happy Face balloon that I had brought in the day after her diagnosis was almost out of helium and flying low and I said,"We need to get that balloon flying high once again"!

Everyone who knows Sharon will tell you that she LOVES anything with a Happy Face. So I removed the balloon from her room with the intention of getting it blown up again that afternoon. The yellow Happy Face balloon traveled with me in the back seat of the car while I ran errands.

First stop was Target to purchase some new "hospital wear" for dear Sharon and buy groceries. As I opened the back door of the car to load in all the bags, the Happy Face balloon began to float out the back door as if it had new life and began skimming along the ground. I had my hands full so I said to myself..."well, it won't go far...it doesn't have much helium left in it".

Big mistake.

I finished loading my bags into the car and now directed my attention to the balloon.... it was traveling slowly along the parking lot. So I started walking toward the balloon, then walking faster, then I put my 60 plus body in high gear and was doing a full out sprint chasing the balloon across the parking lot.

It actually began lifting higher and higher and when I made my big move to grab it as it took flight into the wild blue yonder, my foot hit a curb and I went "splat" on the concrete!

Feeling completely stupid, bloodied and sore, I picked myself up and limped back to the car.

Thankfully, several hours later, the Urgent Care center doctor told me that I did not break or fracture my arm and knee.

I share this story because it gave me new insight into how we respond to life changing circumstances. The symbolism of chasing the balloon , of letting go, of watching the balloon take flight was no coincidence.
God is at work in every detail of our lives. We only need to trust and let go.

Melanie (Sharon's big sister)

No comments: